Declaring your AMP dividends in your tax return

Australian residents must declare their AMP dividends in their annual tax return. AMP does not issue an end of financial year tax statement but your can find the information you need on your interim and full year dividend statements.

How to access your dividend statements online

  • Click on the login to my shareholding button at the top right of the screen.
  • You will be taken to the Computershare Investor Centre where you can follow the prompts to login as either an existing or new user.
  • Once you are logged in, click on statements and documents at the top of the page. Click on AMP Limited then view PDF to see your statements.

What to do if you don’t know your holder number

The first time you log into your shareholding online you will need your AMP holder number. You can find this in the top right corner of your hard copy AMP dividend statement. If you can't find your holder number, the AMP Investor Relations team can help. You can send us an email at or call on 1800 245 500 (Australia) or +612 9257 9009 (other countries). You will need to provide your name, date of birth, phone number and the address on your shareholding.

If you have been contacted by the ATO regarding undeclared dividend payments, and you need help locating your shareholding, please contact AMP Investor Relations who can assist. Please send an email with your name, date of birth, current and previous address and phone number to

Information available from the Australian Taxation Office

If you lodge your tax return online using myTax, the Australian Taxation Office’s (ATO) free tax return preparation and lodgement software, or use a tax agent, you can benefit from the ATO’s pre-filling service. Pre-filling makes it easier to complete your tax return by partially completing your details for you. If using myTax, all you need to do is verify your identity and select the pre-filling function which will search the ATO’s database to insert your AMP dividend information directly into your tax return.

For more information go to the ATO website at

Information for AXA shareholders

Your AXA Scheme of Arrangement Payment Notice includes the details you are required to declare in your 2011 tax return. The Australian Taxation Office has published a fact sheet on the merger of AMP Limited and AXA Asia Pacific Holdings to assist you in completing your tax return. The fact sheet can be found by clicking on this link.

Cost base of shares

Shares purchased on market: If you purchased shares through a broker, your original purchase price will be on your contract note. You can contact your broker for further details.

Shares issued under the dividend reinvestment plan: you will find the issue price on the dividend reinvestment plan page.

Shares issued at AMP's demutualisation (1 January 19998): the cost base is A$6.19. This is the adjusted price to incorporate the AMP demerger (2003) and the three AMP capital returns of $0.40 a share (2005, 2006, 2007).

If you purchased AMP shares, prior to 23 December 2003, through the prelisting facility in June 1998, share purchase plans, dividend reinvestment plan, off market transfers or on market purchases, you will need to refer to your 2004 income tax return or speak to your tax adviser who prepared your 2004 income tax return.

This is because the AMP demerger in December 2003 involved cancelling in total 29.1947766% of your AMP shares. The Tax Office considers each purchase of shares as an individual parcel and it was left to the taxpayer to decide which parcel(s) of shares were cancelled to arrive at the 29.1947766% total.

Further information can be found at the ATO website using this link.

For information about the cost base of your HHG shares you need to contact Henderson Group plc at